The story behind Jammu

Hi,
Nothing much has changed. We are still fighting against the unconstitutional act that was passed this month. Our PM is rebuilding the step that made him tumble and busy tweeting while half the nation doesn't have access to the Internet. So, talking about the internet, I had the opportunity to visit Jammu, yes the one in the name Jammu & Kashmir with my friends. 

I would have been the only person who was happy about a delayed VISA application because that delay is what led me to the snow-laden mountain tops and valleys of Jammu. One of my friends stays at the KV Campus in Jammu and had invited us over to see the beauty of the place. The first images that pop into your mind when you think about Jammu & Kashmir are not so good especially for a person who stays way too far from the place and has seen or heard about the place only through the news. The internet ban had been effective in Jammu for over 4 months now. Long story short, my parents contact me via the Internet and I can't live without the internet at least that is what I thought. We were mentally prepared for a 4 day trip without the internet. 


Now let me be honest, the very first sight was scary and terrifying. It was the first-ever time I was greeted by a military truck and soldiers and snipers at the Railway station. I shared looks with my other friend who was equally terrified as me. Snipers walking by was a regular sight and soon we got accustomed too. The cold was unbearable only for me surprisingly. The place was so picturesque and beautiful. Even without the internet, you could not put your phones down because each passing frame was more beautiful than the previous one. 




The cold weather and the icy winds did make me sick, but let me tell you, you got to visit this amazing place. It also got me into writing again. It was a much-needed break. 

There was the ashram on our way to the mountain. it belonged to some Baba whose name I do not recollect. This baba was way too rich and had private jets and was also Indira Gandhi's yoga trainer. So apparently one day while flying from somewhere back to the ashram, the pilot alerted that they were running low on fuel. To which the Baba replied that we can reach our destination because this is Baba's jet and not an ordinary jet. They did reach the destination but not alive. The plane crashed seconds away from their destination. Well, the Baba didn't lie he just said that they would reach the destination; didn't mention dead or alive.

As you might have read my previous posts, you must have realized how much I love the Christmas season. It was my dream to see real snow and build a snowman. Who doesn't like snow and snowmen? Wanna take a look at the snowman we made?


An overhyped and way too excited myself!



We named it Uber coz that is the only Uber Jammu can have!


On my journey back and now when I think back, the people there are living in a pineapple under the sea. I mean, they see, hear and know about only what their government decides to broadcast. They are far away from the dream of Digital India. Paytm Karo is just an ad and Ola and Uber just snowman names. Our country ranks top in internet shutdowns and with a PM who is quite active on twitter and tweets anything and everything, this doesn't sound quite right. Well, who are we to tell right, didn't we let him win and moreover present him with an opposition which renders shame to the word 'opposition' in itself.

So should I be looking for countries to move to or should I continue ranting here about how unjust and unfair it is from a country miles away? Asking for a friend. I heard Taiwan is a great country for expatriates; just saying.


PS. Most of the places looked scary because of the snipers and we refrained from clicking photos. #scaredashell


Comments

Popular Posts