INSIDE OUT - My tales inside an architecture college

When I feel frustrated or irritated, I write or talk about it. Experience has always taught me that the latter will prove disastrous for you. People including me just take offenses even before they think about something. Maybe it is the ego that clutters our minds. Whatever it is, I chose a field where this is quite too common.

Architects are generally linked with egoistic personalities. There is a reason behind this. Each one of this fraternity believes he or she is right even when you have proved otherwise. This is how we are taught. No offense.

Three years into architecture college, I struggle to make peace with my faculty. I have been on the dark borders of failing twice. And today, threatened to be failed if I expressed any more of my ideas. 

Why does this happen? Doesn’t any person have an opinion or view on something which is away from being bashed upon by someone?

A simple idea of me not getting a printout for a brief which will henceforth only be viewed on our laptop or phone screens. ( Here we take printouts just like that. Are you looking for a job? Start a print shop in our college. )  

I personally do not agree with this system, and I chose to believe so even if you force me your best. 
The greatest architect is one who makes the best of the materials around him. And yet in the journey he embarks, he ends up consuming a lot of it.

It does not end here. I do not know if this is the case everywhere or is it just that I'm wrong. Well, I’m too egoistic to admit that. ( Sarcasm intended )

No two persons think alike always. Each one has his or her own intuitions and ways of going about something. Well, you can actually see the hypocritical and satirical portrayal of this very well in my college. 
The procedure we follow here is quite simple. A set of 6 faculties give a bunch of clueless 60 students a design problem. 

  1. No two persons might like the same design, let alone design; my best friend hates chocolate! Want more? I prefer organic and curvilinear designs while my friend wouldn’t make a curve even if it cost her life.
  2. Each person has a different style of approach and so each faculty, a different story, and different or even contrary expectations.
  3. The expression of the faculty’s view is directly proportional to his experience in years in the college.
  4. The same student may be guided by two contrary belief holders
  5. Last but not the least, people are weird and especially Architects.


The jury is yet another story. You have all freedom to talk but remember you know nothing more than anyone, even if you know! Well, that makes a bit of sense. I have observed that one doesn’t take it well if ideas or questioning comes from a younger counterpart. It is just the way we have been taught that elders are always right. God alone knows when this pre conceived notion is going to die. 


Maybe I am too young to think this way, but I believe our architectural education system is lacking far behind. From time constrained designs to pre-tailored plans; it has been high time since it got a makeover.

An architectural studio is a place where we give and take ideas, no idea is bad or inefficient. If you thought so, just a small photo rating prank went on to become today’s FaceBook.

What if…

What if you were only restricted by the endless sky and the deep oceans?
What if your guides kept a check on your design practicality and stability and kept aside their likes and dislikes?
What if they too began with you, and completed the assignment within the same time frame as you?
What if ideas were understood as spontaneous and unexpected and not one that could be brought out with the magic lamp?
What if… goes on and on…

This is just too vague to be practical but I believe no idea is small. Let my belief take me higher and higher.

Keeping a track record of my talks and write-ups, I’m going to take 7-8 years to complete this curse, chey! course. Damn Autocorrect! 

Oh, I was just kidding, Sir, NO NO...Don't fail me!


Comments

Popular Posts