An open letter

Dear all,

My dreams are quite lavish. Like, literally expensive and extravagant. Well owning a Jaguar or a Cadillac is not extravagant. Just saying. 
Once while I was making my bucket list; two of them actually had nothing to do with my interests or passion but I was strongly determined to make it happen. The first one was learning to shoot, own a licensed gun or pistol and the other to master any one of the martial arts for self - defense. Since when did self- defense or own any defence objects become any girl's dream above all?

It was while watching a regional movie, I realized that it had already been etched into my mind. All these were my insecurities as a girl in this country gushing out. When did after sunset become the deadline for us? Who gets to decide?
 I always say, the first thing I would do after my graduation, is not getting a job or join for higher studies, but run away from this country - from all those bloodthirsty eyes. But the problem doesn't end there, little do I know these eyes loiter all around the world.

Being a girl comes at various costs. It is not a rant but there are a lot of tiny things we are denied. Any girl anywhere on this earth just wishes one simple thing - Freedom. 

To go out at any time you wish, or to just escape from the concrete boxes to watch the night sky.
To walk freely without fearing for your life.
To stand freely in a crowded place without the fear of getting groped.
To start the morning with news of achievements and advancements.
To walk peacefully without people mentally undressing you.
To go beyond and far ahead.

As a girl, I'm really lucky when compared to most of them in our country, at least I'm alive. Duh! 

I am a person who made a habit of reading newspaper whenever I could lay hands over one. Sadly, I quit this habit. Not because I was lazy but the painful realization of how smaller our world got each passing day. If one day it's a 24yr old, the next day it's 2 yr old. It just strips me off whatever little hope is left and leaves me in chronic agony. How brutal and merciless a human could get. 

Change doesn't happen in a single day and I believe it. But I also believe it is a chain reaction. One of us starts, it might spark a reaction which may give us the change we need. Next time you catcall someone or see someone doing it, just don't stay mum. Speak out. Don't ignore any unwanted attention or touch. 
While saying all these, I clearly know how it is going to phase out. If you react, they will be triggered, they will harm you again - an advice given to all girls. Acid attacks are not something new to us, right? So what should we do?  When did half the population become helpless?
Why don't we just realize that it could be anyone, your sister, mother, girlfriend, neighbour or me?

Just a request, a very keen request to all my brothers, guy friends, readers and everybody else.  I'm not asking to fulfill all my dreams, but can you make a small difference to this world? I was just asking. I know I'm not the first person to ask for it. Maybe could you?



Lots of Love,
A girl who loves roaming in the night as much as you all do



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts