Women's Day it is...

It is that time of the year again. Newspapers filled with successful women from around the world, stories of great women, special offers, and discounts - But what about the common man woman?



Yeah, Women's day around the corner and the world celebrates it like a festival - a few hours of recognition and support.



Is this day or week of pseudo recognition all that we need? When did feminism become a bad word? Was it better for me to become a terrorist or a feminist? 

Any confident girl, fairly bold and ambitious would invite the name, Feminist. 

Arey! Let me ask you what is feminism? 

So did I. I am a feminist but not one that falls into the category of man-haters. Who even said feminism was about hating men?
I'm not against men. I'm against misogyny and patriarchy.  


Yesterday, our college hosted an essay writing competition on the occasion of Women's Day. Sadly, they had to mention in the circular, that the competition was 'open to both the genders'. When I asked my guy friends about participating in any of the events, they surprisingly asked- 

"Why should we go? What are we even supposed to do for Women's Day?What role do men have in Women's day ?"
If a college of National importance under MoHRD is in this state, I can imagine what it could be like in any other place.




I have a mixed group of friends, and so sometimes we end up going shopping together. Once, it so happened that my friend was so adamant about not walking through the sanitary napkin aisle. He was so irked by the idea of passing through that aisle. 



After all this, what can I possibly expect from anyone? 



When I talk about my dreams and ambitions, my friends, though jokingly, taunt me about getting me married to some imaginary stupid guy in their imagination as soon as I graduate (Let us skip the groom part here, their imaginations are even beyond my imaginations).



This women's day,

Let us look for equity and not equality
Should this support just end at the end of 8th March? Give it a thought. We do not want any special considerations and reservations. All we ask for is the same attitude you would have for any human irrespective of their gender. Is that too much to ask for?


Most of the ways and decisions we made were based on our primitive understandings and thoughts. Take a while and give it a thought. We unknowingly became the gears of this patriarchial system.


As a women, we need to support each other to come out of this vicious cycle and break the system. We grow together and stay stronger when together. We understand better than anyone would. If we do not stand for any women, who else would ? #girllove


To all the amazing ladies out there, you can dump (Maybe kick or punch) that guy who doesn't want to split the bill or is afraid if you earned more than him or believes 'girls belong to the kitchen'.

And speaking of kitchen, 
kitchen has food, everybody loves food, so everybody belongs to the kitchen. Go get your facts right, buddy. Anybody should know how to cook for oneself, it is a life skill. (Flipping through Sanjeev Kapoor's recipes and Master chef episodes, #iamlearning)

So, Is this gonna end ? You ask... well for today let us wind up.
                    Happy Women's Day !

Even if one person reads my blog, I am the happiest person and it is my success.
A big thank you to all who read my blogs and keep me posted with feedback. You all matter to me the most. 
41k views is not  a small feat I believe.



Lots and Lots of love,
Reshmy

Comments

Popular Posts