How Fair is not Fair ?

Heylo Fraands,  Fair&Lovely lagao!

India is the land of cultures and different people. People of all colour and creed reside together. But still the fairness obsession somehow still lurks around. So prominent that going through the Sunday Matrimonial supplement makes my blood boil red hot. 

Fair, wheatish, golden, atta, maida, whatnot! We are still lagging behind in this. The countless Fair&Lovely ads and all the bleaching products that get you on in the toughest interviews, marriage proposals and endless confidence have literally screwed us up. 


Well, we cannot just blame it on the older generation or lack of education. People wanting to be fair so that they are acceptable in the society, the "uncleanliness" stigma has also caught up everyone alike.

In a survey conducted among kids under the age of 10, it showed that they preferred to have a lighter skin because of some reason they do not understand or know. Let's face it, the ads have not spared our kids! 

People criticise. That's what people do. But who gives you the right to criticise that which is not in your hands?  Skin colour is a demographic and genetic phenomenon and you actually have no say in it. You criticise someone about their clothes, their hairstyle, their lifestyle; I may accept you as my friend. But once you start criticising someone because of their skin colour or disability, I'm sorry, I can't do anything but accept you as a lunatic in dire need of help.

I'm not saying I'm an angel who does everything right and says everything right! I too have flaws. But I'm ready to rectify them at the earliest symptom.

Earlier this morning, I randomly came upon a test to find out how prejudiced your mind was. (Well, it was among the "Which potato chip flavour you are?" and "How many kids you had in your previous life?") 

I was given two resumes, equally qualified and well-educated profiles. And I had to choose one of them to be hired. Well, the Indian "parvarish"(upbringing) in me favoured the fairer candidate. And realization struck me like Thor's Hammer. 

Throughout the day, I came across many other incidents and I came down to the conclusion. It has gotten out of control and is much deadlier than Nipah. 

As usual, I got into a heated discussion with my mom and things got a little complicated. It was not as easy to eradicate this disease of the mind. And all I seem to know is write and write.

The grand conclusion remains open-ended. What can you do about it? How fair is "not fair"?





Comments

Popular Posts