The Mandatory Airport Post - This time with much more events


So, life is full of twists and turns. A St.Stephens Dream brought us now stranded at Chhatrapathi Shivaji International Airport, Mumbai. Not directly, to be exact. I know you must be wondering St Stephens is in Delhi, I’m a 4th Year Architecture student and I’m at Mumbai. Nothing makes sense at all. It will my friend, one day, it will.

Well for the gist, watch this video right down below by TVF. 
Somewhat our story!


The Journey 


It is quite famous how Indian travel on flights. Carrying a 20% overweight and endless queries, every flight to and from India gives a lot of incidents to talk about. The hurry to get their cabin bags even before the aircraft comes to a stall; I’m not even kidding. They actually got their bags even before the lights were switched on. Then the repetitive request for alcohol and specialty meals. The rush to board the aircraft as soon as an officer approaches the desk. They are not gonna fly without you. Wait patiently in the queue. Well, in the very special and pathetic case of Jet Airways, they will fly without you! Oh, Burn!!!

Mumbai Airport

Admit it! We all turn religious as soon as we hit turbulence. And that’s what I did exactly. I made a detailed confession, gratitude sleep, obituary address, thanksgiving speech, forgave all the people who have wronged me and what not. I was the most religious person on board closer to being canonized. 

The heavy rains and dark clouds, sure enough, made our pilot take multiple rounds through the runway that I thought that he was talking us to Bangalore by road.
It was pouring heavily and guess what we got the feel of it as soon as we were about to get off the plane. IT WAS RAINING RIGHT THROUGH THE JET BRIDGE. I wish I had a photo to make you guys believe. 

Starting from early morning, Jet Airways screwed our schedule by the delayed landing of our first flight and the early departure of our connecting flight. Then they offered us breakfast and lunch. And, we had breakfast with these unexpected guests.




After all the drama and show, we finally got to take off at 5 in the evening and behold what I saw was the least expected. Mumbai Airport is surrounded by slums. Everybody knows that there are slums in Mumbai. But I never expected that the airport and the slum shared the same wall! The land of the Ambanis and the slums - Mumbai
Architecture 

Now, sitting in these petal inspired pavilion (Architecture student bro!), I’m thinking about writing my new novel. Yeah! Airports always kind of inspire me to write more things.


 But before that, I got to say about the architecture. Mumbai Airport is well known for its coffered precast ceiling and the columns that appear to droop down the ceiling. It has won several awards and recognition just for this ceiling alone! 
So as I walked down this airport I made it a point to notice the architecture aspects. And one more thing, this is the only place where I found an open Family Toilet. Oh! Wondering what is a Family toilet?  I got to know about it a semester ago. It is a concept which works out in foreign countries. But in our country, mostly they end up being a station for couples. 

There were various display boards talking about "lotus flowering down the ceiling". And soon enough, I was curious to see what they were talking about. 

As you walk down to your gates, you find hanging lights in variously sized lotuses hanging from the ceiling. That's it? 

Apparently, that's the thing they were talking about. Lotus-shaped light fixtures. 





Now, I might blow my brains off if I continue to pick out annoying and irritating events happening around me. I need break guys!


Catch up soon!
Lots of Love!

Comments

Popular Posts