The Last Note - Chapter 10

I was woken up by the door bell. It was 6 in the morning. That’s when I remembered the red envelope, I hurried to the door. It was Sarah there. 
She started the same lecture she gave on the phone. “Why don’t you care about yourself? Why did you come to this place alone? Should have at least consulted one of us? Even we are concerned about Rachelle....” and so on she went.
I didn’t pay attention all I could think was about the letter. There was no letter this morning too.
I told Sarah all about the next letter I received and the papers on Rachelle’s table. She sat startled and worried and didn’t respond.

After a deep breath, I decided to tell her about Deepika’s unusual behavior and then I finally asked her why she petitioned to close the case. Sarah was surprised on how I got to know about it . She told me that the day before Rachelle’s funeral, Deepika had come in to meet her. She said that Rachelle’s missing would cause disturbance in their business and her new book release. What was the use of this investigation when they have already found a suicide note?
Sarah said that she just wanted to help Deepika and Rachelle’s new book release. She didn’t think of anything that time. I tried calling Deepika but she didn’t attend any. Probably she was busy.

Sarah was convincing me how all these red envelope and that novel papers on her table seemed so much like a prank. Who would bother you after almost a year?
Let’s just leave it. Why do you want to get into all this mess? I came to take you back, take you back from this place. Our Rachelle is no longer alive. What we need to do is accept it and move on.

How do you know that she is no more? How can you be so sure about when we didn’t get her body even? , I asked.

If she was alive where is she? What did her things have to do by the Cliffside ? What was that note meant to be? It would be nice if you would know about her new affair.

What! Affair ?

The guy who she told cheated on her in the suicide note. Do you who it was? It was that Daniel. Remember him? That psychopath who was with us in college. But she wouldn’t understand; she called it love. She thinks he has changed and was all good now. She was planning to tell all this at the get-together; that they were going to get married. I knew he would do this.

When did all this happen? When did she tell you this? Why didn’t you tell me all these? Was I so unimportant that you decided to keep everything to yourself? Didn’t you even consider me your friend?

She told me just a day before we planned to meet. I disapproved of it then itself. She wouldn’t budge and she wanted to keep it a secret. But now that I had to say…it was not that you were not important. She thought she would let you know the next evening. That was all…but before she could tell…all bad things happened.
Let’s just leave it here. We are going back, alright!


Just one question was stuck in my mind; why didn’t he turn up for any investigation or her funeral?



To Be Continued...


Comments

Popular Posts