The Last Note - Chapter 13

This morning I was confused about my next step. After that email, all I could think of was about the person behind the letter and emails. I had received several calls from my office since 2 days. Even though I was tending to the work from here, they wanted me to attend some meetings there.

I thought if I could get to talk with Deepika, something could just give some hints. I knew it was difficult to get the chance but it was worth trying. I called her up and surprisingly she was all calm and agreed to meet me at the coffee shop.
Sarah was still asleep; I didn’t want to wake her up. I left a note for her on the table and left.

I couldn’t decide about staying here or leaving. If I left…no I shouldn’t leave.
Deepika turned up on time. She was a little nervous and worried. After talking for a while I found out that she was behaved unusual on that day because of some phone calls that they received that morning; some unknown number which they couldn’t trace. The caller told that I was planning to sue them in some property ownership case and ruin the book release.I felt the caller and the person behind the letters was the same person. All he wanted was maybe just fool around…or maybe…

Deepika told that Rachelle felt uneasy about someone in the days before she went missing. ‘She always tried convincing someone on the phone and was worried. As a result she couldn’t make it up to the deadline of our next book. After those, she would just go dull and refuse to leave anywhere. She would pick up random fights with the employees too. She would shut herself up in the office and sit lost in thoughts.
In the beginning I thought it was out of stress to complete the book before the deadline but now I feel it was something else’, Deepika sighed.
Deepika also added that she feared that any investigation could land them in trouble with releasing the book under Rachelle’s name. They weren’t prepared for it and the legal issues were her superiority then.
She handed me Rachelle’s diary which she thought could help me and left.

On my way back, I remembered how Rachelle used to keep her diary. She rarely updated it. While I thought she was being lazy, she told that only important events and memories should be jotted down; why anyone would want anything sad and depressing to be remembered; she had a point.


Back home, it was all dark. The house was almost a mess when I turned on the lights. Sarah started screaming and yelling. She was trying to stab me. The diary slipped off my hands to some corner when I slipped over the pile of books on the floor. She leapt over me and was choking me. I rolled over and managed to tie her up on to the chair with some clothing down there. She behaved as though she was possessed. I was terrified and was gasping for breath. 
              To be continued...


Comments

Popular Posts