The Last Note - Chapter 9

“Hello Jessica,
You are really great at treasure hunts, I suppose. You read that right; those papers on Rachelle’s table?  Stop wondering, next level. What would you say if I told that one amongst 5 friends was evil? Thick friends right, don’t believe! It’s up to you.
You will soon receive a phone call giving you the next clue.

So, all the best champ!

Yours Sincerely,
XYZ”

Was someone playing a prank on me? Does this seem to say that Rachelle was…by one of us?

I waited by the phone and received no call till afternoon. All that I knew was, he or she was somewhere nearby watching all my actions.

The phone bell rang; I answered. It was Sarah on the other end. She asked where I was and why I had gone there without asking anyone. She was worried and didn’t let me answer anything. She told me that she was coming to India and hung up.

Sarah, how could I convince you that things are not going easy? Why would you come and get yourself in trouble?
I stayed all evening there by the phone, but no calls came. I slept off soon.

Next morning, there was no letter. And the only phone call I received yesterday was Sarah’s.

I felt Deepika, Rachelle’s business partner could help me move further. I left for her office. Deepika was very surprised to see me there. She started off with a very official conversation and avoided eye contact. I asked her who was in charge of Rachelle’s property, to which she refused to answer. She finally gave in and told; Rachelle’s will stated that all property would go into her hand after her death and now she was the rightful owner. With this she left saying that she was busy and had other appointments and I need not worry about her property.

Deepika’s sudden change in behavior didn’t sound right. Her body language told me a different story.
I went to police station where Rachelle’s case was registered and asked if I could see the reports. They refused. Even after a hundred requests, they didn’t budge.

That’s when a familiar face stepped in. I was trying to recollect this person when the police officers stood in attention and saluted him. It was Varun, Varun Sharma ! He was our batch mate and he was now a police officer. What! That bully, he is now a cop!

I went in to meet him after I was called in. He didn’t recognize me at first. But when I went on talking about myself and Rachelle, he did. He was so happy and surprised.

When I had told him everything that happened a year ago and how that case was closed, he offered to help me out. I decided not to tell anything about the letters.
I had to make up an answer when he asked why I was here behind the case after a year.
The case file was brought in and I went through it. I was shocked when I came to know that the case was closed due to Sarah’s petition.



                                                                               To be continued...

Comments

Popular Posts