The Last Note - Chapter 12

This morning too, there was no red envelope. While pouring coffee for Sarah, I noticed that she was still paranoid about what had happened yesterday night. She didn’t talk much. She was disturbed each time I took Rachelle’s name.
I didn’t tell her anything about Daniel; she wouldn’t let me go. I was sure.
I left saying that I had to meet some people in the city, she begged me to stay back. I could see fear in her eyes but I couldn’t help it. I had to go.

When I asked at the college office about him, I was informed that he didn’t come for work or anything since a year.
Sometimes, social networks don’t give you the latest info; this is how then it turns out to be. He had just left it seemed. I was not ready to take it in.
His not coming for the funeral and investigation made sense now. He was responsible for all that happened.
Now, all that I need is proof. Evidence that he…kkkilled her!

All the while I was driving back after retrieving Rachelle’s laptop from her office, I was thinking hard to find evidences. Deepika had called me that morning and told about Rachelle’s books and other personal items were in her office and that I could collect them. I dropped by the cliff side for a while. This was where she was towards her end, I suppose. Below the cliff, there was thick forest and a small waterfall. A beautiful sight which erased away Rachelle forever.

When I returned home, I couldn’t find Sarah in any of the rooms; she was not in the hall, not in the bedroom, not in any room. The secret room door was open. I went in.

Sarah was sitting in a corner with her head down. I went closer to her. She tried to stab me. She screamed holding the knife. She threw the knife and hugged me crying hard. She saw Rachelle again and this time it was in that room.

I felt it was better to ask her to leave. But she was adamant that she wouldn’t leave without taking me along. She was stubborn that we left the next possible day. I tried convincing her how crucial it was that I found out who was behind Rachelle’s death and all about the red envelopes. She turned a deaf ear to all that I said. She wanted me to stop everything and return back with her as soon as possible.

I logged into Rachelle’s laptop with a hope of finding something. What was I supposed to find after 1 year? My mind told I was senseless but my heart told I was right. The wallpaper was our last photo taken at the farewells. Memories flashed in, it was ironical how it turned out to be the last photo we ever took together; all 5. Everything was pretty much neat. There was nothing I could find.

Sarah decided to share room with me and was already in bed. I didn’t know what I was to do with her. Before going to bed, I had a habit of checking all mails and notifications.
There was a mail, it was from xyz@gmail.com. I opened it.

“ Hello…
Deepika, Daniel …your list of suspects going long and useless. It’s not them. I like the fact you are here just because of my letter or maybe the red envelopes I should say! You are actually investigating like a boss. Jokes away!
Try talking to Sarah about Rachelle.
Don’t think you could trace my IP address. Do you think I’m an idiot; I have done all that could keep me away from your eyes.
I’m not your foe, I’m your friend.

Good luck!
Yours Sincerely,

XYZ”


                                           To be continued...

Comments

Popular Posts